Bill McMullin is a 44-year-old serial entrepreneur who has been the founder and CEO of multiple companies in the last 20 years.
In 1989, while in university, he started a retail wireless company in Cape Breton which he successfully grew and sold to a competitor in 1993.
In 1994 he founded InfoInterActive Inc. (IIA), a telecommunications software and enhanced services company. In the capacity of CEO, he led the company from its inception to its acquisition by America Online for $43.3 million in July of 2001.
From July 2001 through December 2004, he worked as a vice-president at America Online.
From January 2005 through July 2006, he spent time providing consulting and mentoring services to a number of local organizations.
In August 2006 he returned to his entrepreneurial roots with TrueCheck, an online service which enabled consumers and corporations to order background checks. The TrueCheck platform was acquired under exclusive license by Canada's largest background screening firm in June 2009.
In 2008, McMullin and TrueCheck partner Mike Cairns, began to plan the launch of ViewPoint.ca, a powerful and comprehensive real estate portal.
The following is a list of activities, transactions and accomplishments that highlight Mr. McMullin's experience:
- Grew InfoInterActive (IIA) from two to over 80 employees, attracting and retaining superior management and staff that remain with the company to this day.
- Raised over $25 million from a variety of sources including $7 million from Intel. Completed many private placements of equity to other strategic, institutional and sophisticated investors.
- Developed partnership and customer agreements with large companies such as Verizon, Telus, Aliant, Intel, and many others. McMullin was a key part of the sales process in most transactions working in tandem with the IIA sales team on the front lines.
- Took the company public via the Alberta Stock Exchange's capital pool program in 1996 then lead the process of evolving from the ASE to the MSE, then to the TSE and ultimately to the NASDAQ where IIA would become the first and only company in Nova Scotia history to be a fully listed NASDAQ company.
- Inventor and patent holder on United States and foreign patents related to online call management.
- Managed relationships with strategic, institutional and retail shareholders. During IIA's period as a public company, was the main investor relations contact with IIA's estimated 5,000 retail shareholders.
- In the capacity of Chairman, managed the Board of Directors of the company which included the responsibility for quarterly reporting and compliance activities.
- Received numerous awards, most notably the 1999 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year and in 2000 Business Person of the Year by the Halifax Chamber of Commerce.
In addition to the above business activities, McMullin regularly supports a variety of not-for-profit organizations. In 2001 and 2002 he was the Chairman of the Nova Scotia Chapter of the IWK Hospital Capital Campaign. McMullin was also a member of the Premier's Advisor Council on Innovation and has held numerous volunteer Board and committee roles.